Friday, February 10, 2012

Winter / Projects

Good morning, campers!

After a month in Texas, I have finally returned to Dickson. The first couple weeks out there I was frustrated by the warm temperatures, however I appear to have adjusted to them since now winter seems daunting.

I am still excited, though. While I was in Texas, I read this article and am really interested in alternatives to refrigeration. The thought of using the fruits and potatoes and onions together seems to me like an extension of the permaculture stuff Lance was telling me about. And I believe the creek will be cold enough year-round that it can refrigerate whatever requires it.

John was shopping for chickens from the road. I think a coop should be a pretty good early project. Having chickens on hand when spring hits could keep the tick population much lower than it was last year.

I like thinking of these two small projects. I have a tendency to pipe-dream, so I'm trying not to think about the solar oven and bridge and planting (though I'll want to be thinking about that soon).

Today, I want to achieve at least two goals: 1. take measurements for the roof, since dad offered to buy new tin for it; 2. break up the pile of cement that got wet & settled in a corner of the shed.

I'm not sure how long it has been since it rained here, but hopefully it's been long enough that the floor won't be damp, and I can sweep the place out a bit better.

Oh, and here are some other articles I've recently read:
one on facing major changes
one on facing difficult times
and the Way of Practical Attainment, which has been my compass for the past few weeks
The first two links are very accessible, good, quick reads. The third is a little more challenging, but very insightful.

Good morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment