Thursday, January 12, 2012

Good Morning, Camp Rosewater!

I'm actually nowhere near Rosewater at the moment. I'm in Harker Heights, TX. But I have a computer at my fingertips for the first time in a long while, so I'm making the most of it.

So, here's what's up.

I like to travel. I love the scenery that goes by when I'm a passenger in a car or train or bus. I love the conversations and music when I'm driving (music sounds different on the road, trust me). And I love the weirdness of flying: boarding a plane at 6AM in cold, rainy Seattle, only to be in short sleeves & rolling in the desert sand of Tucson by noon.

And I have a lot of other friends who like to travel, too.
And I like to wonder: why do we do this? Are we looking for something? Running from something? Are we just bored, or are we simply following our hearts?
And honestly, each of these things are true from time to time.
But can we really get what we want out of life without abandoning this lifestyle?
Who knows?

At the moment, Rosewater is an experiment in living. It's a place where we can come and go as we please, and where we can have some sense of family or community while we are there. An anchor.

It is also a place where we can bring our crazy ideas to the table, and work them out.
I'm making a house out of a shed.
John and I have talked about bringing a sailboat to the farm to restore, despite the fact that Rosewater is nowhere near the sea.
Scott wants to "plant some food, watch the food grow, and eat the food." It is shocking to realize that living requires no more of us than that.
Leslie likes the idea of a healing retreat center.
There has been talk of building a music studio.
Scott and Valerie have expressed an interest in raising goats.
Lance has valuable input on permaculture, which could support the idea of organic farming.

Basically, anything is possible, and Rosewater is a place where we can discover which possibilities are worthwhile.

There is no mission, there is no vision. That is the vision. (This is my take on it, anyway. Hopefully I can persuade other Campers to post here, to muse over their ideas of what life is for & about, and to post about projects as they develop...)

No comments:

Post a Comment